The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year, 1969. Aimed at developing student’s personality through community service. The NSS Activities in College Premises is inaugurated in the year 2002 and it is functioning efficiently through NSS Volunteers from Various Departments.
Role and responsibilities of Programme Officer
The Programme officer is expected to inspire student youth to understand the values and philosophy of NSS. The overall function of Programme officer is to help the students to plan, implement, and evaluate the activities of NSS under his charge and give proper guidance and directions to the student volunteers.
Duties of NSS volunteers
- NSS volunteer should put in:
- Establish rapport with the people in the project area
- Identify needs, problems and resources of the community.
- Plan programs and carry out the plan.
- Relate learning experience towards finding solutions to the problem identified.
- Record the activities in the work diary systematically and assess the progress periodically and effect changes as and when needed.
- Identification of the adopted villages/slum areas
- Awareness drives through youth rallies, street plays, exhibition, skits highlighting success stories by way of traditional folk art and media
- Community participation by involving member of the adopted villages and local institutions
- Duration of the NSS special camps will be 7 days and the volunteers will have to stay overnight in the camp.
- Organizing day camps on the theme at the adopted villages on the weekends
- Renewable Energy awareness programmes
- Technological training for self-help groups and rural youths
- Traffic control during festival occasions
- Collection of clothes for distribution to the people below poverty line
- Visits to orphanages/Old age homes/ Blind schools and feeding
- Creation of awareness of Rain Water Harvesting
- Mass tree plantation(one student one tree)
- Organizing veterinary camp
- A One day program “Fitness for healthy Life” is organized on 19th march 2014.
- A 7 Day “Special camp” organized by NSS in Maruthakulam from 30.03.2010 to 05.04.2010
- A One day Seminar on “Law and Youth” by Mr.Balasundar(Advocate,Nanguneri) in maruthakulam on 30.3.2010
- A One day Seminar on “Personality Development and Leadership” by Mr.Syed Ahamed,(Associate Professor,NCE) in maruthakulam on 31.03.2010
- A One day Seminar on “Youth’s Participation and National Integration” by Mr.Jaleel.A(Farm Manager,NCE) in maruthakulam on 01.04.2010
- A Blood Donation Camp Organized by NSS at Maruthakulam(70 NSS Volunteers donated Blood).
- A One day Seminar on “Internet and Youth” by Mr.M.Gowthal Alam(Assistant Professor,NCE) in maruthakulam on 02.04.2010
- NSS Organized by “Tree Plantation Programme”in Maruthakulam on 02.04.2010.
- A One day Seminar on “Aids Awareness Program” by Mr.N.Manikandan(RRC District Manager, Nanguneri) in maruthakulam on 03.04.2010
- A One day Seminar on “Power Saving” by Mr.R.Anand(Assistant Professor,NCE) in maruthakulam on 30.0.2010
- A 7 Days “Special camp” organized by NSS in Maruthakulam from 30.03.2009 to 05.04.2009
- A 10 Days “Special camp” organized by NSS in Maruthakulam from 25.02.2006 to 06.03.2006
- Global Warming Awareness campaign was conducted at Maruthakulam, Mayaneri, Patiniparai, Sathangulam, Thotakudi, mondradaippu, kovaikulam,UlagammalpuramMalainkulam, and karuppukati villages on 10-10- 2010 during which 10 villages were visited.
- NSS Day was celebrated on 25th Sep 2010.200 NSS Volunteers and staff members participated.
NSS is a permanent youth programme under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and funded by Government of Tamil Nadu and Government of India in the ratio of 5:7.
NCE NSS functions effectively by conducting tree planting campaigns, blood donation camps and free eye camps. First Aid awareness programmes and AIDS awareness programmes are also organized. Engaging in social activity to bridge the gap between the fortunate and the less fortunate through empowerment is the main focus of NSS activity.
NSS provides an excellent opportunity to the students who desire to serve the community and to develop interpersonal relationships and skills.
Objective of NSS
“Serve the downtrodden in the society” and “Personality Development through Community Service”.
The motto of NSS is “NOT ME BUT YOU”. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole. This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need of selfless service and appreciation of the other man’s point of view and also consideration for fellow human beings.
NSS symbol is based on the “Rath Wheel” of the Konark Sun Temple of Orissa. The giant wheel portrays the cycles of creation, preservation and release and signifies the movement in life across time and space. The design of the symbol, a simplified form of Sun Chariot Wheel primarily depicts movement. The wheel signifies the progressive cycle of life. It also stands for dynamism and progressive outlook of youth.
National Service Scheme in NCE
- NCE has 1 NSS unit, functioning from 2001
- The Program Officers are Prof.R.Raja Sajin and Prof.C.Muthuvel
- The unit has an enrolment of 100 volunteers. 50 volunteers from I-year Engineering and rest from other years
- NSS has two types of activities
» Regular activities ( 120 hours)
» Special Camping activities (7 days)
- Regular activities include
» Orientation of NSS volunteers
» Campus work
» Institutional work
» Rural projects etc.
- Free General Medical camp.
- Pulse Polio Awareness campaign.
- Road Maintainance.
- NSS Day.
- International Womens Day.
- Global warming awarenss campaign.
- Fire safety & Rescue Training program.
- Hello FM Kallorisalai cultural program.
- Avoid plastic awareness campaign
NSS SPECIAL CAMP (YEARLY)
7 days special camp is conducted every year by adapting a nearby village and services are offered for the upliftment of village which includes construction of an over head water storage tank, Medical camp, Veterinary camp, repairing check dam and tree plantation, cleaning of streets, Blood donation camp and Seminars.
The various activities include:
- Plantation of Trees
- Veterinary medical camp.
- Road safety Awareness program
- Social Awareness campaign
- Computer training program for school students
- Guest Lecture on
- Personality Development & Leadership
- Law & youth
- Aids Awareness program
- Energy Saving
- Conducted Essay, Drawing, Elocution competition
- Participation of tamilnadu-people welfare association conducted essay competition.
- Participated Inter college cultural meet at Anna university, Tirunelveli
- Attended one day Fire safety Training program at Nanguneri Fire station
- Every year we are supporting the Blind school belonging to “Indian Association for the Blind”, Madurai.
- “Blood Donation Award” by Tamilnadu State Aids control society 2009-2010
- “Blood Donation Award” by Tamilnadu State Aids control society 2010-2011
Principal Dr.M.Mohamed Sitheeq at Free General Medical Camp on 30-10-2010.
NCE NSS Students with Principal Dr.M.Mohamed Sitheeq at “Avoid Plastic Awareness Campaign” on 12-03-2011
Invitees and NSS Volunteers on the closing day of the Seven Days Special Camp
Global Warming Awareness Campaign on 10-10-10
NSS DAY celebrations on 24-09-2010
Inauguration of Fire Safety & Rescue Training Program on 26-08-2011.